1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Medical Licensing
  4.  | I Have Been Diverting Drugs from My Job and Was Just Confronted By My Employer, What Should I Say?

I Have Been Diverting Drugs from My Job and Was Just Confronted By My Employer, What Should I Say?

On Behalf of | Mar 26, 2015 | Medical Licensing

Absolutely nothing. Do not speak to your employer or anyone else or make any admissions of drug diversion. You should contact me immediately. Over the years, I have found that often times, nurses and other healthcare professionals when confronted about drug diversion, are so ashamed of their conduct that they admit these allegations to their employer. This will often result in losing your job and even worse, being arrested. Sometimes employers will tell healthcare workers that if they admit their conduct, it will be better for them. Do not believe this. If you are diverting drugs, your employer has a responsibility by law to report your conduct to the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. Almost all the time, this will result in your being arrested.

Additionally, if you are asked to give a urine screen, which you believe will be positive for a substance you have been diverting or for a controlled substance that you do not have a valid prescription for, you should probably not take the drug test. This may result in you being fired from your job; however, it may save your nursing license from being suspended.

Prior to August, 2013, if you were diverting medication and enrolled in the Voluntary Recovery Program (VRP) with the state, you could avoid a license suspension if you were charged with a felony. That is no longer the case. Diverting controlled substances in Pennsylvania is a felony. If you are convicted of a felony, you will lose your healthcare license for a minimum of ten years.

Many times, it is difficult for the police to proceed with prosecuting you for diverting drugs unless you give a statement. Any statement you give to your employer will be admissible in a court of law against you if you are charged criminally.

If I can be of any assistance or you are being accused of diverting controlled substances, please contact our firm immediately.